Thursday, April 12, 2007

Gort, the Walrus, and Gadgets Galore

I have an article in today's "Design 2007" issue of Los Angeles CityBeat on Fry's Electronics' offbeat store decor. I go to Fry's nearly every weekend, so writing a story about their science fiction and "Alice in Wonderland" themed stores in the San Fernando Valley felt like the only sensible thing to do.

Here's a sample:

"The store's centerpiece is Gort, the silver humanoid robot from the 1951 anti-nuclear cult classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. Ironically, in that film, as a way of warning humanity not to continue down a dangerous technological path, the menacing robot momentarily switches off all electric equipment throughout the world. (Time to pick up a surge protector?)"

I've been thinking about this piece for a long time, so I'm thrilled CityBeat gave me the opportunity to bring it to life.

Read the whole story here.

Photo: Eric Gunrud

No comments: